You are here

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I really need to rent a four-wheel drive vehicle?

Yes you do! We get over 500 inches of snow a year and the Department of Transportation often restricts the roads to 4WD only.  That means that if you do not have a 4WD you are not allowed to drive on the roads.

Should I purchase the trip insurance?

We strongly recommend that you purchase trip insurance. Download the information here.  

Will I be affected by the elevation?

Altitude affects people differently. It is not unusual to get a little headache and have some problems sleeping your first few days at altitude. There are brochures in each of our rental properties with pointers on handling altitude. If you have questions or if you are experiencing more than mild symptoms, you should be seen by a medical professional. We recommend that you avoid excessive alcohol, caffeine and increase your intake of water.

Should I rent skis at the mountain or in the Salt Lake Valley?

There are lots of discount ski rental operations in the Salt Lake Valley, however, if you are staying at Alta or Snowbird, we recommend that you rent your skis there. Though it may cost a bit more, you will be happy not to have to drive back to Salt Lake should you want to switch skis or if you have a problem during your visit.

What airport should I fly into?

The closest airport to Alta and Snowbird is the Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC). We are a hub for Delta Airlines and have direct flights from most major US airports along with some international destinations. Driving time from the Airport to Alta is approximately 45 minutes.

Should I purchase groceries before heading up the canyon to Alta and Snowbird?

Alta Chalets offers a food stocking service – we can stop at the grocery store, natural foods store (Whole Foods) and/or liquor store and stock your rental accommodation so all is waiting for you upon arrival. There are also a number of grocery stores, liquor stores etc. located in the Salt Lake Valley near the base of Little Cottonwood Canyon. If doing your own shopping, is important that you pick up groceries before heading up the canyon. There is a small general store at Snowbird where you can restock with things like milk and juice.

Is there public transportation?

The Free Alta Shuttle runs during the main season from the bypass road to Alta. The main pick-up/drop-off hub is the Goldminer's Daughter Parking Area, with stops at the ski school and Albion Ticket areas. If you have small children going to daycare/ski school you may want to consider renting a vehicle.

How do I ski to and from The View & Superior Point to Alta and Snowbird?

From The View, you can ski/out to Snowbird by way of an intermediate groomed run "Whodunnit."  From Superior Point, it's just a short walk to that same groomed run.   

Can I buy alcohol in Utah?

The answer is absolutely yes ... even on Sunday. Like other major cities, Salt Lake has bars, brewpubs, and restaurants that serve alcohol seven days a week. The "membership requirement" to enter bars was removed in 2009. If you're over 21 you can walk into a bar, order a drink, and enjoy. You have to buy wine, full strength beer and hard liquor at a Utah State Liquor Store (see grocery stores for locations). You can buy 3.2% beer at the regular grocery store.

Can you recycle at Alta?  

Due to the unique challenges of Alta's weather and location, no recycling pick up service exists.  However, if you have a vehicle and would like to recycle, you can take it to the Alta Recycling Center, which is on the north side of the main road, down canyon from the post office/fire station.  It is across the street from the parking lot west of the Rustler Lodge.  The recycling center accepts newspaper, plastics (including plastic bags), steel cans, cardboard, cereal boxes, aluminium cans, tin cans, all paper, milk jugs and soap boxes.  It does not accept glass.